scientia est potentia – knowledge is power
Mr. Pershes concentrates his practice in intellectual property law. He is a patent attorney registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law by the Florida Bar. He has successfully litigated cased in more than twenty states, including jury trials of patent, trademark and copyright infringements in such areas as entertainment, advertising, pharmaceutical products, medical devices, and counterfeit goods. Mr. Pershes has provided patent infringement analysis, validity opinions and expert testimony.
Prior to forming Perkins Pershes, PLLC, Mr. Pershes was a partner at Roetzel & Andress in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs in Boca Raton, Florida.
Areas of Practice
- Counterfeit Goods
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Masters in Law, New York University Law School
- Juris Doctor, New York University Law School
- Bachelor in Engineering (Mechanical), City College of the City University of New York, NY
Mr. Pershes has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. According to Martindale-Hubbell, the rating indicates the highest level of skill, integrity and professional conduct. This distinction is awarded to less than five percent of all United States lawyers. Mr. Pershes was also selected as a “Florida Super Lawyer®” by Florida Super Lawyers magazine (2007, 2010-2012, 2014-2020), named as one of the “Top Lawyers in South Florida” by South Florida Legal Guide (2007-2019) and named Top Lawyer In Palm Beach Illustrated (2019), Avvo Rating 10(Superb).
- Represented an Engineering firm to obtain back ownership of the firm’s trademark; results after a jury trial was full ownership rights for client.
- Represented a Scientific Equipment distributor who was given a trademark, by oral agreement, thirty years prior and was having it infringed upon by the original owner/ manufacturer who was a multi-national European corporation; results after a jury trial was full ownership rights given to client as well as damages awarded for the infringing conduct of the manufacturer.
- Represented a DVD distributor accused of copyright infringement and producing counterfeiting products; results after jury trial was a determination of no infringement and product found not to be counterfeit.
- Represented a Marketing Company against an infringer of its copyrighted design materials; resulted in stopping the infringement, destruction of infringing copies and damages for infringement.
- Represented a National Manufacturer to stop a competitor from attempting an infringement of its primary patented product; results after a jury trial, a finding of potential infringement with an injunction entered by the court to stop any infringing conduct by the competitor.
- Represented one of the largest Automobile Distributorships in the United States in defense of claims against it of infringing trademarks, copyright infringement and breach of license; results after a jury trial and appeal was no infringement found, no breach of license and no damages awarded against the client.
- Represented a Jewelry Manufacturer accused of copyright infringement; results after a trial was all claims dismissed and claimant’s copyright vacated.
- Represented a Pharmaceutical distributor accused of patent infringement, as well as trademark and copyright infringement of packaging materials; result after dispositive motion filed was withdrawal of all claims, with full rights for client to sell its product.
- Represented a Builder/designer and contractor who claimed a copyright infringement of its designs; results after a jury trial was defendant found to have infringed the copyright and Builder awarded damages.
- New York
- Registered Patent Attorney
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court of Florida, Southern District, Middle District, and Northern District
- U.S. District Court of New York, Eastern Disctrict, Sourthern District, and Western District
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Board Certified Intellectual Property Law, Florida Bar
- Licensed Professional Engineer, New York & New Jersey
- Mediator & Arbitration Association
- Florida Bar Association (Member, Intellectual Property Law Committee)
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Litigation & ADR Committees
- Florida Intellectual Property Law Association (Past President)
- Contributing Author, Domestic Patents – Questions You Should Ask Your Patent Attorney, BioPharm International Magazine (August 2005).
- Speaker, “What Every Business Owner and Attorney Should Know,” Intellectual Property Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Boca Raton (March 24, 2010).
- Lecturer, “Copyright Infringement of Construction Plans” Florida Bar.