scientia est potentia – knowledge is power
Ms. Perkins has more than 23 years of experience litigating cases in federal and state courts, including representing clients in jury trials. She focuses her practice on counseling, litigation, and mediation in the areas of intellectual property law. She is a brand protection strategist and passionate about helping clients identify, protect, and enforce their intellectual property rights. Ms. Perkins has represented clients in a broad range of matters, including trademark infringement, copyright infringement, trade secret, unfair competition, computer fraud, promotion and marketing disputes, and employment matters. She has represented individuals to Fortune 500 companies and has served clients in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, internet marketing, fashion, pharmaceutical, hospitality, home health care, medical, publishing, and more. In addition to litigating cases in Florida, Ms. Perkins has litigated cases in California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, New York and Wisconsin.
Prior to starting her own law firm, Ms. Perkins was a partner at Fox Rothschild, LLP and Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLP.
Areas of Practice
- Trade Secrets
- Unfair Competition
- Counterfeit Goods
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Business Disputes
- J.D., Stetson University College of Law, 1996 (Staff member, Stetson Law Review)
- B.B.A., with honors, in International Finance & Marketing, University of Miami, 1992
Ms. Perkins has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. According to Martindale-Hubbell, the rating indicates the highest level of skill, integrity and professional conduct. This distinction is awarded to less than eight percent of all United States lawyers. Ms. Perkins has also received a 10.0, Avvo Rating, on a scale of 1 (Extreme Caution) to 10 (Superb). In 2018, Ms. Perkins received the President’s Award from the President of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association for her ongoing dedication and commitment to the bar association.
- Conducted numerous audits of intellectual property assets.
- Counseled clients on trade secret, trademark, copyright and patent protection.
- Represented and resolved a case where re-sellers of clothing on Amazon were served with a cease and desist letter for copyright infringement.
- Represented landlord sued by a designer because its tenant was selling knock-off jewelry; resolved case pre-litigation.
- Obtained resolution of a lawsuit in favor of client who was accused of trademark infringement, proving the security company that brought the claim engaged in naked licensing and, therefore, lost its trademark rights.
- Represented a technology company accused of theft of trade secrets and computer fraud where the jury awarded only a fraction of the money damages sought.
- Negotiated high level executive employment agreements where the executive and company both had intellectual property rights to protect.
- Represented a marketing company against an infringer of its copyrighted design materials; resulted in stopping the infringement, destruction of infringing copies and damages for infringement.
Ms. Perkins is appointed by The Florida Bar to serve as a member of the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit, Grievance Committee “F” where she is responsible for continuing the investigation of possible lawyer misconduct referred by Bar discipline attorneys. She also serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association and as a member of the Advisory Board to Florida Atlantic University, Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters. Ms. Perkins is a graduate of the Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Boca program and gives back to the community by serving as a court-appointed Guardian Advocate in Palm Beach County.
- Florida Supreme Court Certified, Circuit Civil Mediator and Family Mediator
- Foreclosure Mediation Certificate
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Palm Beach County Chapter (Pro Bono Chair, 2003-2005; Historian, 2006-2008; Chapter Representative, 2007-2008)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, South Palm Beach County Chapter
- International Trademark Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association (Committee for Diversity & Inclusion 2013-2015)
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association (Co-chair, Intellectual Property Law Committee, 2008-2010; Board of Directors, since 2010; Chair and Co-Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2013-2016;)
In The News
- Mentioned, “News and Notes,” Florida Bar News (September 1, 2019)
- Commentary, Copyright Infringement Lawsuit filed against Led Zeppelin, THELAW.TV (June 2014)
- Commentary, Copyright Infringement Lawsuit filed against Taylor Swift by Lucky 13, THELAW.TV (June 2014)
- Commentary, Controversy Over Manziel Trademark Filing, THELAW.TV (April 8, 2014)
- Featured, 2014 Attorney to Watch by Attorney at Law Magazine (January 7, 2014)
- Featured, “After Hours: South Palm Beach County Bar Association Annual Installation Gala,” Daily Business Review (June 8, 2012)
- Featured, “South Florida Lawyers Stress Importance of Courts to Public,” Daily Business Review (May 1, 2012)
- Mentioned, “People,” Daily Business Review (April 14, 2011)
- Featured, “After Hours: Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Palm Beach County Chapter Membership Luncheon,” Daily Business Review (January 25, 2011)
- Mentioned, “News and Notes,” Florida Bar News (January 1, 2010)
- Panelist, 4th Litigation Funding Conference, discussing litigator viewpoints (March 8, 2019)
- Panelist, “Having It All: Strategies for Success!”, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association (May 25, 2016)
- Panelist, Commercial Law Session, Palm Beach County Bar Association, Bench Bar Conference (March 27, 2015)
- Guest Lecturer, Intellectual Property Law, Palm Beach State College (February 18, 2015)
- Moderator, “Successful Diversity Initiatives: Perspectives from In-House Counsel and Leading Law Firms,” South Palm Beach County Bar Association (October 10, 2014)
- Speaker, “Strategies for Corporate Data Management in the Age of E-Discovery,” Association of Corporate Counsel America South Florida Chapter, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (May 19, 2011)
- Moderator, “Trademark Basics – What Every Business Owner and Attorney Should Know,” Intellectual Property Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Boca Raton, Florida (March 24, 2010)
- Panelist, “Examining Non-Compete, Confidentiality and Independent Contractor Agreements from an Intellectual Property Standpoint,” Intellectual Property Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Boca Raton, Florida (September 23, 2009)
- Speaker, “What You Should Know About Protecting Your Website,” Successful Women in Business, Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, Boca Raton, Florida (November 20, 2008)
- Speaker, “Employee Background Checks – Practical Pointers,” National Association of Women Business Owners, Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Chapter, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (July 12, 2004)
- Speaker, “Performance Appraisals: Valuable Training Tools or Plaintiff’s Exhibit?” Quarles & Brady, LLP, Labor and Employment Law Conference, Naples, Florida (May 24, 2001)